Safeguard What’s in Your Pocket, Wallet or Purse
The best tip to ward off identity thieves is the simplest: If you don’t need it, don’t carry it with you. Your credit cards, financial receipts and IDs are open invitations to the bad guys.
1. Don’t leave it in the car. Never leave your wallet or purse in your car, not even in the trunk.
2. Whenever possible, avoid carrying these items with you:
- Social Insurance card
- Birth certificate
- Driver's license (required when driving an automobile)
- Banking information, deposit slips and ATM receipts, including PINs, logins, passwords or account numbers
- Paychecks and pay stubs
- Anything else with your personal information